Promote Your Church Events Online: Tips to Increase Engagement & Attendance
In the modern digital era, places of worship have numerous great choices for promoting activities on the internet. With the popularity of social platforms, church websites, email advertising, and more, churches can spread news about their events wider than ever before. Strategically using online platforms can assist with getting more individuals engaged with and attending church events.
In this article, we’ll talk about different ways churches can promote events online, including on their church website, social media, email newsletters, community calendars, and more. We’ll provide tips on making engaging event announcements, directing traffic to event pages, and getting church members to help spread the word. Promoting events online takes planning and effort, but can yield great results in higher event attendance and community engagement.
Promote Church Events on Your Website
One of the key places to publicize church events is on your church website. This enables current members and new visitors to easily find details about your church’s upcoming events all in one spot. Here are some recommendations for promoting events on your church website:
- Make a dedicated “Events” page where all upcoming events are posted. Keep this page current.
- Have an “Upcoming Events” section or widget on your homepage to highlight events happening soon. Link to the full events page.
- When new events are scheduled, write blog posts with all the key information and link to the main events page for more details.
- Use eye-catching graphics like images, videos, or banners to highlight priority events.
- Use calls-to-action like “Learn More” buttons to encourage visitors to register or get more event information.
- Ensure event pages are enhanced for keywords people may use to look for related events.
The key is to make events visible and accessible across your website. Eliminate any roadblocks to finding event information using clear navigation, links, and design.
Promote Events on Social Media
Social media is a powerful tool for churches to use when promoting events. Over 70% of adults in the U.S. use social media, so take advantage of platforms your congregation uses to share event announcements. Here are some recommendations:
- Make eye-catching graphics like images or videos to use when sharing event posts. Canva is a great free tool.
- Write compelling copy that shares key event details and gets people excited to attend.
- Post event announcements on multiple platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Ask church members and leaders to share event posts with their own networks to expand your reach.
- Use hashtags related to your church or event so people can easily find your posts.
- Run social media ads targeted locally to drive awareness and registration for priority events.
- Share event reminders and updates closer to event dates to keep people engaged.
The key is posting consistently across platforms and using viral sharing from church members to promote to a wider audience.
Send Event Email Newsletters
Email marketing is still one of the most effective digital marketing channels. Leverage your church’s email list to promote upcoming events. Here are some tips for great event email promotions:
- Send a dedicated email when new events are first announced. Share key details and link to event pages.
- Include a noticeable “Upcoming Events” section in your regular church newsletters.
- Send event reminder emails a week or so before each event date to encourage attendance.
- Segment your list by demographics like age or interests to tailor event emails. Seniors may be more interested in certain events than youth.
- Make emails visually appealing with images, logos, color schemes, and clear formatting.
- Use a catchy subject line like “Vacation Bible School Registration Now Open!” so people open the email.
- Test different calls-to-action like “Register Now” or “Learn More” to see what drives most clicks.
The key with email is consistently promoting events and segmenting your list to send relevant, targeted messages.
Post Events to Community Calendars
Your local community likely has various event calendars you can add church events to for broader visibility. Here are some places to look for community calendars:
- Local newspaper or magazine websites often list community events.
- Town or city websites will have calendars of local happenings.
- Local blog or news sites focused on your town likely have an events section.
- Local radio station websites often list events on a community calendar.
- Local community bulletin boards on platforms like Facebook are great for sharing events.
When posting your church events to community calendars, be sure to provide key details like event name, date/time, location, registration details, and a link to your church website for more information. This makes it easy for interested people to learn more.
Leverage Church Members to Promote
Don’t forget to leverage your existing church members to help promote events. Here are some ways to get them involved:
- Encourage members to invite friends and family who may be interested. Word-of-mouth marketing is powerful.
- Provide shareable social media posts, images, and emails members can easily pass on through their own networks.
- Ask influential church members to promote events from their personal social media accounts.
- Have members post events to neighborhood forums or groups they are part of locally.
- Follow up after events asking members to post photos and positive testimonials. This builds excitement for future events.
Equipping church members with the right tools and resources to share events makes your reach extend much farther.
Track Event Promotions
It’s important to track your event promotions so you can see what efforts are working well. Here are some key metrics to monitor:
- Traffic to your event pages – How many visits are driven to the page for each event? What content is driving the most referrals?
- Email open and click-through rates – How many people open event emails and actually click links or buttons to learn more?
- Social media engagement – Track shares, likes, and overall reach of your event posts. See which perform best.
- Event registrations – How many people sign up for each event? Are registrations increasing with your promotions?
- Event attendance – Ultimately you want to see attendance numbers increase. Track this over time as you refine your promotions.
- Web traffic and conversions overall – More promotions should correlate with more website traffic. See if more people take action like signing up for a newsletter.
Review metrics regularly and determine what promotions work best for your church. Double down on those while tweaking underperforming efforts.
Promote Events in Your Church Bulletin
Don’t overlook promoting in your print church bulletin as well. This reaches members attending church in-person. Here are some ideas:
- Incorporate a “Coming Up” events section or sidebar to highlight events.
- Include a registration insert members can fill out and turn in for upcoming events.
- Print enough bulletins so members can take extras to give to friends and neighbors.
- Allow local community members to contribute event inserts relevant to your members.
- Share testimonials from past event attendees to build excitement.
- Use eye-catching fonts, colors, or graphics to make events stand out.
- Make sure to include key details like dates, times, locations, and registration info.
Even simple text announcements in your bulletin can be effective. Just be sure events are clearly highlighted and easy to find.
Frequently Asked Question
1. What is a Church Event Online?
A Church Event Online is a religious gathering or activity that takes place over the internet, allowing participants to worship, fellowship, and engage in spiritual activities from the comfort of their own homes or other remote locations.
2. How can I participate in a Church Event Online?
To participate in a Church Event Online, you typically need a computer, tablet, or smartphone with internet access. Visit the church’s website or social media platforms to find information on upcoming events, and follow the provided instructions for joining the online event.
3. Do I need special software or equipment to join a Church Event Online?
Most Church Events Online can be accessed using a standard web browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. Occasionally, you may need to download a specific app or plugin, but these are usually free and easy to install.
4. Are Church Events Online different from in-person services?
Yes, Church Events Online differ from in-person services in that they are conducted virtually. While the core elements of worship and fellowship remain the same, the format and interactions may be adjusted to suit the online environment.
5. Can I make donations online during Church Events Online?
Yes, many churches provide online giving options during their virtual events. You can usually find information on how to make donations on the church’s website or during the online event itself.
6. Is there a schedule for Church Events Online?
Yes, most churches have a regular schedule for their online events. You can check the church’s website or contact them directly to find out when specific events or services are being held.
7. Can I invite friends and family who are not part of our church to join Church Events Online?
Absolutely! Many online church events are open to everyone, so feel free to invite friends and family members who may be interested in participating. Sharing the event details and links with them is a great way to include others in your online worship experience.
8. What if I miss a Church Event Online?
If you miss a Church Event Online, check with your church to see if they provide recordings or archives of past events. Some churches upload their services to platforms like YouTube so that members can watch them at a later time.
9. Are there interactive elements in Church Events Online, like prayer requests or chat rooms?
Yes, many Church Events Online offer interactive features like chat rooms, prayer requests, and online forums where participants can engage with each other and the church community. These features foster a sense of connection and support.
10. How can I stay updated about upcoming Church Events Online?
To stay informed about upcoming Church Events Online, subscribe to your church’s email newsletter, follow them on social media, or regularly check their website for event announcements and updates. You can also ask to be added to any relevant mailing lists or groups within the church community.
Promoting church events online requires using a mix of tactics across digital platforms and print. Your church website and social media accounts should be the core of your promotions. But also leverage email marketing, community calendars, church bulletins, and member invitations.
The keys are sharing events widely, making event info easy to find, and using visual/written content that engages your target audience. As you promote events, track results to refine your efforts and maximize turnout. With some dedication and planning, your church can leverage online platforms to fill the pews for events.